About Me

My photo
i am a creative person. mother to a daughter who is an active young woman and a constant blessing in my life. i hope that you enjoy your visit here and that you will return often.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Mail Art

i have put these two mail art fabric postcards into the mail today. they are on there way to Ati in Norway. The selvedge edge card has been mailed as a postcard and the crazy quilt style one has been put into a small package with some other goodies. Ati recently sent me one of her needlefelted postcards that she was giving away as a blog activity. at that time i actually hadn't been to Ati's blog but had left comments on her flickr images so was included in the give-away. i was very surprised and am happy to have this beautiful art card that Ati made. she is a very skilled needle artist. although i have made nearly 80 postcards myself, i generally give them away or sell them and so only have kept one of my own making. up until Ati sent me her give-away card i had never received one from anyone else. so now, i am happy to report, i have two very special postcards of my own.

i have had great luck with sending my postcards through the mail "naked". in fact most of the time the report back is: "it looks perfect" . . . no extra marks, no dirt, no tearing, etc. i used to send them without a clear plastic mailer but now do add that extra bit of protection. the benefit to sending them as a postcard is that i can have them hand cancelled with my local Post Offices own cancellation mark. because we live in such a rural area most things go into a bin and are mass canceled in another (larger) town. but if you ask to have something hand cancelled it gets our very own towns cancellation mark which i think adds to the mail artiness of the whole thing. so i sent one like that for Ati to be able to add to her own collection of mail art cards. the one that is inside the seperate package is something that she can either keep or send on to someone else if she chooses. choices are good right!?!


thank you again Ati for including me in your give-away. i feel honored to have some of your beautiful handwork. i hope that the pieces that i mailed today make you feel as surprised and happy as i did when i recieved yours. let me know when they arrive as i'm curious about how sending them in different forms may effect the timliness of delivery. my postmaster assures me they should arrive at virtually the same time but the curious part of me just wonders if that is the way it will work out.

8 comments:

  1. beautiful fabric postcards! they're such works of art, I would be scared to just toss it into the mailbox! But I'm inspired to try that sometime :) I especially really love the emboirdered one! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Rita. i'm glad that you are inspired by my work as i am often inspired by yours~!!~

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful postcards! I know Ati will love them! I use envelopes for mine, but I always have so much buttons and so on mine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank Gunnel and yes Ati seems to be happy with her postcards. i was happy to hear that both of them did arrive in good shape~!!~

    :)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever concept. It's like little traveling art! Lovely work Libby. Do you have to make them sturdy, or they really are tiny quilties??
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Paloma~!~
    thank you although this fabric postcard thing is not my own idea, i certainly have had fun developing it along to fit my own style. there are different approaches but i've found that i like to use peltex 72 in the center of my postcards because it does sort of sturdy them up but they do also seem like tiny quilties to me. there is a great tutorial on the making of these at www.debrichardson.blogspot.com if you are interested in learning some details. a google search will also turn up quite a few different books that have been published about creating fabric art postcards.

    thank you for your visit and your comment. i hope you decide to return at some time.

    :)
    libbyQ

    i have linked back to your awesome blog and loved every second of the brief visit. will return for sure~!!~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Libby!I really have to try the making of these card...I'm in love with them.I will defenitely be coming back to visit you. You have a lovely space here. And thank you also for visiting my blog and for your comment. I was denying my desire for hanquilting the whole thing. Now I think it is a must...
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks Paloma and good luck with the cards . . . i can't wait to see what great ones you will create~!~
    yes, you will be happy you decided to hand quilt it, i think.
    it's a beautiful quilt~!!~

    :)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete

i love knowing what your thoughts are and knowing that you've paid a visit if you have the time to drop a line or two.

i attempt to answer all comments and/or questions. if this is important to you make sure you are not set on no reply which leaves me no way to get back to you.

Followers